In addition to considering our 8 simple shopping tips below, when searching for the perfect new mattress, it’s important to consider the following: comfort, support, durability, size, warranty, and where to shop. Remember to ask plenty of questions and take time doing your research. We spend one-third of our lives in bed, so the energy and time you invest in shopping for your new mattress is energy and time well spent.
Eight Mattress Shopping Tips
- Make a list about your current mattress. What do you like about it? What don’t you like? Why are you now shopping for a new one?
- Talk to your partner and be sure to understand what he/she wants from a new mattress.
- Shop at a retailer you trust. Know your retailer’s return, exchange and warranty policy before you buy so there are no surprises.
- Shop for a name brand you trust, like Goodnite®.
- Try out several types of mattresses with your partner, and be sure to wear comfortable clothes. There is no substitute for lying down on a mattress to know whether or not it’s comfortable for you and your partner.
- Put price in perspective. You will spend 1/3 of your life in bed, so you should look at a new mattress as an investment in yourself. Remember that a new mattress will last several years.
- Take care of your new investment. Your new mattress should last you several years, which means you need to care for it. Make sure you are using proper support and a mattress protector.
- Make sure your fitted sheets really fit. Deep-pocket sheets are carried by most major linen retailers and are designed for extra thick and pillow top beds.